Friday, November 13, 2009

So You want to be an Artist (Part 1)









The Artist As A Young Man.


In 1972, when I started working in silver, I tried to make all of my designs one of a kind works of art; masterpieces of the silversmith's craft. I carefully honed my skills, expanded my repertoire and more or less went on a metal smithing binge; working 50, 60 hours a week in my workshop. I was trying everything. Spoons, boxes, wine goblets, belt buckles, plates, trays and eventually a tea service. There didn't seem to be anything I couldn't do if I set my mind to it. I was 24. I I was single. t was Newport. It was GREAT!

But after several years of this creative blitz, I came to the realization that I might go broke trying to sell my "one of a kinds". Frankly, few people wanted to spend thousands, much less hundreds of dollars on handmade silverware (my first love). I wanted it to be the 18th century, when one's personal wealth was measured by the value of his "plate" or silverware not by their "life style". But when my 30's loomed I started to reconfigure my life plan.....and my creative parameters.



2 comments:

  1. Jim, it is fun to discover your blog. I remember seeing you at an SHS reunion in the 70's discussing sand casting techniques with my husband, a tool maker. My favorite of your designs is the dogwood. Reminds me of home. I have both the pin and pendant. Living in the western NY snow belt, it helps me get through the end of winter. Two wishes: snowflake and other of that sort of earrings smaller that 1/2". They are too big on short people like me. And use your spell check before posting - Lolly B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI~ being a local "Newporter", I want to support the "locals". I give my friends birthday and Christmas gifts from JHB. All love it when they open the "little black box". Thank you all the creative designs! Joan

    ReplyDelete